Saturday, September 6, 2008

Random Notes, Housesitting, Etc.

Hey! Hope all is going well. Not much going on here for the most part. Spent the last couple weeks basically housesitting and looking for a paying job. Apparently the unemployment rate here in old MO is at the highest in 16 years. And they say the economy is going well.

Anybody else see footage of the RNC and the protests and think things have gone way out of whack. With the police arresting journalists covering the protests ranging from an AP photographer to several people from Democracy Now and four people from a college newspaper in Kentucky one wonders if anyone in power seems to be aware of freedom of the press anymore. Then there's the choice of Sarah Palin as McCain's running mate who has enough baggage to scare any sane person between now and November 4th (If anyone's interested let me know and I'll put up a post regarding what I think is ironic about the song they chose to use after her speech).

I hope people in this country are aware of how things have gone so far down the tubes over the past 20 years (and at double warp speed in the past eight), but I also know the dangers of underestimating how Americans can be misled so damn easily. Maybe my worries are unwarranted. I hope they are but we could be in for a scary ass ride.

A lot of you have probably already seen these posts and clips but for those unaware of what went down in the past week check out this post on pre-emptive raids. As more information comes out regarding these things it will be interesting to see public reaction to this in retrospect.

So where does that leave us now? I really don't know. The polarization in this country is arguably almost as bad as it was during the apex of the Vietnam War (and I have a sinking feeling it will get worse before it gets better). I wish I had an answer to this but hindsight is always 20-20 and things tend to be murkiest when you're going through it.

Sorry for the downer theme of this post. I needed to vent and get things off my chest. I think everyone wants things to be better but it's not hard to get cynical when the gap between those in power and the rest of up seems to be growing towards the size of a damn ocean.

What's next? Who knows? Maybe I'll have a lighter post sometime soon but everything's up in the air at the moment.

If you disagree with me that's fine now go argue amongst yourselves. I have to take care of things.

No comments: