Saturday, February 14, 2009

Checking In, Deadly Crash etc - Catching Up

Hey! Hope all is well with you. First I want to offer belated condolences to the family friends of those who died in the crash of Continental Connection flight 1349 in Clarence Center, NY Thursday night. I was going to post another piece in my battle against the exploitative and wretched pseudo holiday today happens to be. However, in the big picture that doesn't seem as important.

Why is it only when a tragedy happens that many people tend to find perspective? We all fall into these ruts at one time or another where the day to day drudgery we have to endure to survive gets in the way and drags us down (and yes, I include myself in that). As a result we often don't tell people how we feel and what they mean to us unless something really horribly bad happens. I wish I could say I've successfully broken this chain but in a society where honesty and telling people what you think makes you an almost automatic target, there have been times I've fallen into the shit myself.

As for the crash, investigators are still looking into it, though the flight crew reportedly saw significant ice before this tragedy went down. As much as we as a species want to avoid hurt, pain and tragedy, there are times when bad things do happen and there's nothing anyone can do. Realizing that is humbling, angering, and scary. However, it's something we all have to deal with at one point.

So what do we do now? I wish I had the answer. Hell, I wish I knew if anybody is actually going to read this. However, when we encounter a tragedy like this (even if nobody we know is involved), we tend to have an idea what to do. Thus, these are the times when we tend to have perspective and let people know what they mean to us and not take things or people for granted. Even just putting yourself in someone else's shoes and trying not to judge can be helpful. I think we have an idea what to do when something bad happens, we just don't want to deal with doing these things every day until something bad happens and we have to examine it.

I wish I had a better answer than that, but that's all I can figure out. In terms of February 14, think about these things and remember that not everyone may be as fortunate as you regarding what this pseudo holiday represents so please try not to look down on them or judge. I hope everyone has a good weekend. Now go argue about this amongst yourselves.

No comments: